Department of Biochemistry was established in September 18, 1995, with UG. The main objective of the course is to provide deep insight in biochemistry and equip students with basic biological knowledge, and also to provide an in-depth exposure to the different research works, which will help the students to get placed in, varied disciplines of life sciences. PG course in biochemistry was started in the year 1999 subsequently followed by M.Phil and Ph.D courses. The Department has well equipped UG, PG and Research labs with
sophisticated instruments such as Inverted Microscope, Flourescent Microscope, Fluorimeter, UV Spectrophotometer, Microplate reader etc., In addition we have well established Animal House approved by IAEC and Animal Tissue Culture lab. From the inception of the department we concentrated more on teaching, learning, and evaluation by
conducting more number of guest lectures, seminars, conferences and workshops. So far we have conducted 1 International and 16 national level seminars and symposiums. The students were shaped by taking part in extracurricular and extension activities. In the Department so far we have completed 5 major research projects funded by ICMR, UGC, DST and 3 minor projects funded by UGC and Karpagam Academy of Higher Education. As a credit so far we have published more than 200 research articles. At present the Department has one major project funded by DST-WOSA. The major thrust area of research includes Diabetes, Cancer Biology, Phytomedicine, Nanomedicine and Computational Biology.
- To provide scientific research at the highest international standard, integrating cutting-edge multidisciplinary approaches to solving significant problems in biology and medicine.
- Motivate students to develop as internationally competitive professionals with excellent leadership, communication with teamwork skills.
- To provide a high quality education and learning experience for our undergraduate and postgraduate students through.
- The innovative teaching methods and emphasis on the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- The provision of an inspiring, exciting and collaborative scientific environment.
- Building a rich collegial atmosphere that will equip our graduates with transferable skills and an awareness of research ethics.
- To provide opportunities for career development for both students and staff.
- To contribute the public to lead better life through extension activities.
- To translate our discoveries into meaningful applications for better healthcare and economic development of nation.