The food sector is booming because food is one of the few things humans cannot survive without. But in the modern era, when there are food shortages, floods, soil erosion, and climate change, it has become crucial. So, researchers in the field of the food industry have a major role in improving the food supply and enhancing the health of the increasing population. Also, they have to look for new methods to ensure the quality of their products. The information provided by food science through which the food technologist is able to process or produce a food product The top B-Tech food technology colleges in Tamil Nadu allow the student to research foods, food processing, etc. to learn and experiment with the advancement technologies in the industry. Let’s briefly discuss food technology and food science.
Food Tech vs. Food Science:
|FOOD SCIENCE||FOOD TECHNOLOGY|
|What for? Food science is the study of how food is produced, preserved, and packaged, as well as the physical, biological, and chemical components of food. Food scientists apply scientific theories to comprehend how food behaves and to develop new food products or enhance existing ones.||What for? The use of food science in the creation, preservation, packaging, and marketing of food items is known as food technology. Food technologists work to transform the research work done by food scientists into products that can be purchased in stores.|
|Duties: Work to improve the flavour, texture, and other aesthetic aspects of food by studying its sensory qualities. Typically, food scientists have degrees in chemistry, biology, or microbiology.||Duties: Accountable for creating new food products, enhancing current products, and guaranteeing that food products are secure and match quality requirements. Food technologists should have degrees in food science or food engineering.|
What is food technology?
When the food industry uses scientific innovations to follow trends, food technology comes into play. It is an applied science that involves the fundamentals of biochemistry, chemical engineering, and physical science to understand the nature of food. The technology can be grouped as process, storage, and preservation technology. The technologist is responsible for the techniques that include sterilisation, pasteurisation, packaging, freezing, and dehydration.
What are food science and nutrition?
The science behind the food we eat is referred to as food science and nutrition. This course combines various subject areas like chemistry, microbiology, food nutrition, medical science, and population health to determine a healthy diet. The food science major focuses on manufacturing, processing, and food production, whereas nutrition is responsible for the maintenance of good health and safety in the community. The basis of technology is science, and they are both interdependent.
Reasons to set your career in food technology:
Food technology is a division of food science that involves the manufacturing and storage of food products. Once you graduate in food technology from the private universities in Coimbatore, you can find an enormous scope that includes research, advancements, and quality assurance factors.
1. Job security:You can make a career in the food industry that will grow, expand, and innovate with time. Food technology teaches how to do research and create sustainable, safe food practises. It is important to impart your knowledge to the next generation so that standards can be constantly enhanced.
2. Financially strong: You can find a gradual growth rate when you hold a degree in food science, as it comes with various opportunities that have high pay. And the need for food technicians is growing as their significance becomes more and more clear. Employers will be more prepared to pay more if there is more value linked to the position in order to ensure that their professionals are of the highest quality available.
3. Diverse career options within the sector: The demand for food professionals is real, and those who receive their b.tech. in food technology degree from a top college in Coimbatore have options to enter various careers within the industry. It includes product development, food retail, catering management, wineries, the bakery industry, flavour development, and so on.
4. Health concerns: As more people begin to make regular changes to their diets, the demand for organic and natural food is increasing. This shift away from processed foods presents a great opportunity for food technicians, as their specialised knowledge of nutrition and science provides them with the ability to help manufacturers produce food that consumers will desire. This trend is an excellent time for food technicians to capitalise on this booming industry.
5. Work abroad: If you’re looking to expand your career in the food industry, gaining relevant knowledge and understanding of food is essential. You’ll be able to work with some of the most high-end restaurants abroad, developing your skills and working with a number of different cultures. By having an extensive understanding of cuisines from all over the world, you can have truly unique career experiences in which you can explore new places and broaden your expertise in the field.
Therefore, it is evident that there is a growing demand for food technology experts. And those who are interested in the food industry or its processing can apply for the B-Tech food technology colleges in Coimbatore. This course provides the required skill set and has various career options in the food sector.